GMO Registry, Inc. (hereafter GMO Registry) recognizes the importance of protecting personal information in the operation of its Internet domain name registry businesses and the entire company adheres strictly to the Policy regarding the Handling of Personal Information laid out below.
In addition, the company's Internet domain name registry businesses seek to ensure customer trust through the active protection of personal information in cooperation with related distributors, industry organizations and government agencies.
1. Policy regarding the Handling of Personal Information
- (Compliance with Laws, Regulations etc.)
- (Declaration of Specific Usage Purposes)
- Wherever possible GMO Registry determines and declares in advance the purpose of usage of personal information obtained. When personal data is obtained directly as a result of details provided by a stakeholder in a contract or other document, the purpose of usage shall be explicitly stated in advance. Please refer to service web sites for the usage purposes of each service provider.
- (Use within Scope of Usage Purposes)
- GMO Registry uses the personal information of stakeholders only to the extent necessary to achieve previously determined and declared usage objectives. However, the company may use stakeholder personal information outside the scope of usage purposes where provided particularly in the law.
- (Period of Retention)
- Except where otherwise prescribed by law, GMO Registry determines the length of time it is necessary to retain personal stakeholder information to achieve the objectives of pre-disclosed usage purposes. At the expiry of this period or when the objectives of the usage purposes are achieved, the personal information of stakeholders is promptly destroyed.
- (Secure Information Management)
- GMO Registry strives to maintain current and accurate records of stakeholder information, we have also taken necessary and appropriate measures to ensure secure management in order to safeguard against unauthorized access, falsification and damage.
- (Employee Oversight)
- GMO Registry conducts necessary and appropriate supervision of employees to ensure secure management of stakeholder personal information. In addition the company conducts training to ensure employees handle personal information appropriately.
- (Sub Contractor Oversight)
- GMO Registry may entrust some or all of the handling of stakeholder personal information to a third party, within the scope of usage purposes. When selecting sub contractors, we verify that personal information is handled suitably and demand that stakeholder personal information be handled appropriately. In addition GMO Registry conducts necessary and appropriate supervision of the sub contractor through measures such as the inclusion in contracts of provisions relating to the auditing of personal information.
- (Provision of Information to a Third Party)
- GMO Registry will not supply stakeholder personal information to a third party without consent except where provide by particularly in the law.
- (Shared Usage etc.)
- Where certain personal information is supplied to a third party as allowed for under particular law, GMO Registry is not required to treat that party as a third party and may entrust the handling of stakeholder personal details, provide personal information to the party or share use of information with specified individuals without obtaining consent from the stakeholder. The scope of shared use is confined mainly to the GMO Internet Group however information may also be shared with other specified parties. Details of shared personal details, usage purposes and the relevant privacy officer are published on each service web site.
- (Requests for Disclosure etc.)
- Stakeholders wishing to be informed of the usage purposes of personal information, or who seek disclosure, correction, addition or removal of details, or who wish to prevent GMO Registry or a third party using personal information should apply in accordance with the company's procedures. Please refer to the relevant service web site to view procedures for requesting disclosure of personal information.
- (Management of Grievances)
- GMO Registry deals promptly and appropriately with grievances and other inquiries from stakeholders regarding the handling of personal information. Contact details for grievances and other inquiries are listed on each service web site.
- (Handling of Leakages)
- In occurrences such as the leakage of stakeholder personal information, relevant facts will be promptly provided to the customer etc. and the leakage will be quickly and appropriately handled.
- (Ongoing Improvement)
- GMO Registry strives to continually improve internal handling of personal information through the improvement of internal regulations regarding the protection of personal information and through continued employee training and internal auditing.
2. Usage Purposes of Personal Information
- 1) Service
- GMO Registry uses personal information to the extent necessary to achieve the following objectives.
- (1) To provide assistance to companies applying for new top level domains
- (2) To develop and operate registry system and services
- (3) To provide sales promotion support, billing, authorization, and other services necessary
- 2) Contracts
- GMO Registry uses personal information to the extent necessary to achieve the following objectives.
- (1) To communicate in regard to a service agreement
- (2) To respond to a request for information
- (3) To send out announcements regarding seminars
- (4) To send out announcements regarding the usage of contractors, and to send out documents as required
- 3) Registry Business
- GMO Registry uses personal information to the extent necessary to achieve the following registry business purposes.
- (1) To validate or authenticate applications for domain registration
- (2) To manage domain name registration information
- (3) To use domain name registration services
- (4) To resolve network operation or domain registration technical issues
- (5) To operate the domain name DNS (Domain Name System)
- (6) As domain registration information to be published on Whois in accordance with ICANN contract
- (7) To solicit feedback or alert our customers to new features in our products that we think may be of interest
- 4) Customer Support
- To answer the email we receive and to communicate with our customers regarding the service we provide.
- 5) Market Research
- For the purpose of analysis and to conduct surveys with the objective of improving this service and other services provided by GMO Registry and affiliated companies
- 6) Service Development
- (1) New service development
- (2) Service improvement
- (3) System development, maintenance, and operation
- 7) Accounting
- For tax accounting, accounting, and billing relating to the provision of this and other services.
- 8) Business management
- (1) As data for business analysis, and usage in analysis results data
- (2) Responding to disclosure request in accordance with Personal Information Protection Laws, and the personal information handling audit
- 9) Others
- (1) Will disclose information when related to users of this service upon request from domestic or foreign public institutions.
- (2) When a user makes a request for information, GMO Registry provides information after having confirmed the identity of the user.
- (3) Usage purpose of personal information relating to recruitment candidats.
- i ) For recruiting
- ii ) For employment management
- iii ) GMO Registry may use personal information for other purposes after having obtained prior consent from candidate.
- (4) Usage purpose of personal information of officers, employees, their family members, and retired employees.
- i ) For business related communications, information sharing, human resource management, payment of salaries,, placement of staff, employee evaluation, education training, employee management including welfare programs and occupational safety, provision of employee ID card, and other tasks as proscribed by labor relations laws and ordinances / customs laws and ordinances and social welfare relations laws and ordinances
- ii ) For the implementation and management of various procedures required under company regulations
- iii ) To provide health insurance and pension funds
- iv ) GMO Registry may use personal information for other purposes after having obtained consent
3. Provision of Personal Information to a Third Party and Shared Use
With the exception of the following cases, personal information is not provided to or shared with third parties.
* Personal information may be shared among companies in the GMO Internet Group.
- 1) Extent of Shared Use
- GMO Internet Group companies (subsidiaries and affiliated companies listed at the following URL: http://www.gmo.jp/en/profile/outline.html)
* The composition of the group is subject to change as a result of new companies being established, group restructuring and other events. Please check the above link for the latest information on the composition of the GMO Internet Group.
- 2) Usage Purposes
- Each company in the GMO Internet Group has defined Personal Information Usage Purposes. Information shared among group companies shall be used in accordance with the relevant usage purposes.
- 3) Shared Personal Details
- Name, address, e-mail address, telephone number, contract details, and other information within the limits of the above usages purposes.
- 4) When the personal information of customers is shared outside the group special measures are required.
- 5) Personal information about customers may be supplied to a third party in the provision of services after consent is obtained from the concerned customer.
- 6) In some cases the handling of personal information is entrusted to a company outside the group. However, in these cases GMO Registry only selects companies that have higher personal information protection management standards than our own. Required measures are taken in regard to a duty of confidentiality agreement. At the same time GMO Registry ensures appropriate management and supervision of the concerned company.
- 7) GMO Registry may disclose personal information when ordered to do so by the government or a court of law.
4. Fair and Reasonable Acquisition of Personal Information
- 1) GMO Registry acquires personal information only as necessary and through appropriate measures.
- 2) GMO Registry may set cookies on client's computers for certain purposes. The company uses personal information (IP address and the account names, passwords and IDs required to use some services) contained in cookies. This information is only used for the purposes listed in the usage purposes stated by the company.
- 3) Some emails sent to customers advertising GMO Registry services direct the customer to a URL with parameters (personal URL) that contains encrypted information identifying the customer. Information about customer browsing activity that is collected from these personal URLs may be used by GMO Registry services, however information is only used for the purposes listed in the usage purposes stated by the company.
5. Disclosure etc. of Personal Information
- 1) When an individual seeks disclosure, amendment, disposal or notification of usage purposes in regard to their own personal information (excluding information acquired from stockholders), GMO Registry shall respond within a reasonable time in accordance with Personal Information Protection Law Articles 25 and 26 following the process determined by GMO Registry and laid out below in section 2. Where no such data exists, the individual shall be informed immediately. (In regard to requests about personal information acquired from stockholders such as transfers and bank accounts to which dividends are paid, it is necessary to inquire to the company's stockholders register administrator, Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation. Please see section 6 for details regarding stockholder inquiries.)
- 2) Requests for disclosure etc. shall be dealt with in the following manner. Please be aware that we will not accept requests by telephone, fax, e-mail, verbally or by any method other than the one laid out below.
- (1) Please contact GMO Registry for the relevant form (Personal information disclosure request, Personal information amendment request, Notification of purpose of usage request).
- (2) Fill in the required details.
- 3) If applying in person you will need to supply the following documents.
- A copy of your Juminhyo or Alien Registration certificate (made within less than a month before submitting the request) and one of the following.
- (i) A driver's license copy
- (ii) A passport copy
- (iii) A health insurance card copy
- (iv) A pension book copy
- (v) An alien registration card copy
- 4) If a proxy is applying on your behalf you will need to supply the following documents.
- (i) A Juminhyo copy
- (ii) Ininjou
- (iii) The certificate of registration for the seal used on the ininjou.
*In case the proxy is a statutory representative, documents verifying the credentials of the representative should be supplied in lieu of the above in addition to one of the following.
- (iv) The proxy's driver's license (copy)
- (v) The proxy's passport (copy)
- (vi) The proxy's health insurance card (copy)
- (vii) The proxy's nenkin techou (copy)
- (viii) The proxy's alien registration card (copy)
- 5) Please send (2) and (3) (and (4) if the request is being submitted by a proxy) by certified mail to the relevant service (see below) at the following address.
- GMO Registry, Inc.
Cerulean Tower, 26-1 Sakuragaoka-cho,
Shibuya-ku, Tokyo (150-8512) Japan
- 6) In regard to requests for notification of purpose of usage and disclosure of personal data, after verifying the identity of the sender of the documents, GMO Registry will send out an invoice for handling fees. Please submit payment by bank transfer to the account listed on the invoice. Any bank transfer costs should be born by the customer. Handling fees are charged for each service for which information is disclosed.
In regard to requests other than notification of purpose of usage and disclosure of personal data, we will proceed as soon as verification is complete.
- Handling fee:
5,250 yen (including tax)
- (7) In regard to requests for notification of purpose of usage and disclosure of personal data, after confirming receipt of payment, GMO Registry will send a response by certified mail.
*If you have any queries regarding the response please inquire at the relevant point of contact listed below 6.
6. Inquiry and Complaint
GMO Registry, Inc.
Address: Cerulean Tower, 26-1 Sakuragaoka-cho,
Shibuya-ku, Tokyo (150-8512) Japan
Business hour: 9:00AM-6:00PM JST
Contact form: http://www.gmoregistry.com/en/contact/